Crucglew, crucelew or Carclew as it is known today is the name of the estate found between Penryn and Mylor. In the past the name has been translated as, 'The Enclosures by the Barrows', Cruc or Crug meaning barrow and Clu or Cluth, a ditch or fence.
The timeline of ownership for the land of Carclew can be traced back several centuries to D. Aungero and then on in to the hands of the well known Bonython family.
The first, 'noble', home to be built on Carclew land was under the supervision of Samual Kempe, husband of Jane Bonython, during the C19th. The building remained uninhabited which suggests it was never completed.
The estate, complete with Kempe's incomplete, 'noble home', was purchased by William Lemon Esq in 1749 for the sum of £3.300.00, (makes you sigh huh?).
The family of Lemon is of some antiquity in Cornwall. Sir Williams grandfather, (William Lemon Esq), bought some considerable wealth into it by his own industry. He engaged in several profitable speculations in mines; And he wisely laid out the product of his bowels of the earth into the purchase of many fair acres on its surface.' - The Gentleman's Magazine and Historical Chronicle - Volume 94 - Part 2
Lemon set about making alterations that completed and expanded on the work begun by Kempe. Lemon employed popular architect Thomas Edward who had worked on the Lemon family town house in Truro.
The result of the estate house reflected the style of C16th Italian architect Andrea Palladio whose work was commonly replicated at this time. As building developed so too did the terraces, pools and colourful foilage and flowers that burst out among the ordinarily sparse and bland acres of fields.
William Lemon passed away suddenly in 1760 at the age of 63 and Carclew passed to the hands of his grandson Sir William Lemon. Twice elected mayor of Truro and County Sheriff Sir William was a worthy owner who continued to maintain and develop the house and gardens to a high standard.
Eventually the house and estate passed to the Tremayne family by marriage when Sir William Lemons granddaughter married John Tremayne. It fell to William Lemon Esq great great grandson John Tremayne junior in 1868.
In 1934 a fire ripped through the house, possibly due to an electrical fault. While the family survived the house was severley damaged and sadly never restored.
Today the estate is divided among farms and residences and a much more modest home watches over the remains of the house and gardens. The gardens are now Grade II listed and are part of the National Garden Scheme and when closed viewing is by appointment only contact 01872 864070.